Noah

Noah
6th Grade

Sunday, March 27, 2011

Two Days in a Row! I'm on a Roll!

Yesterday, my mother in law took Noah and Baylee to see the new installment of The Diary of a Wimpy Kid.  Noah Loves the books and the movies as well.  The books are the only ones I don't have to force him to read.  And sometimes, I catch him reading this saga when he wasn't even asked to read.  A mother has got to love that.  DOAWK is about a 7th grader and the social drama that one goes through at school.  It amazes me that this interests him, but it does.  When they got home, he asked Baylee what her favorite part of the movie was.  Autistic children don't tend to ask questions that isn't about them directly, so this made me very happy. 

One of my favorite shows on TV is American Idol.  I love music and especially singing.  This season, there is a contestant that is on the autism spectrum.  He has asperger's syndrom which is the level above what Noah has been diagnosed.  He actually is my favorite but I think it may be because I have a soft spot in my heart for these people.  He is very talented and if he didn't tell the world that he had asperger's, I don't think I would have been able to tell.  Usually, I can spot someone on the spectrum a mile away. He is married and has a child.  This gives me tremendous hope.  I remember when Noah was first diagnosed, I read a very discouraging article about autism in a magazine.  I read that my son would never be able to hold a job, get married, or ever live independantly.  I think I have believed this prognosis just because of one author's opinion.  I do not know what the future holds for Noah, but with God's help, Alan and I will prepare him the best we can.

People with autism usually have heightened senses.  Hearing, touch, and taste are the ones that we deal with on a daily basis.  Noah does not like loud noises.  On one occasion, he nearly lost it when I accidently set off the smoke detectors in our home.  He is very sensitive with socks and shoes and really any clothes that don't feel quite right. 

Before we knew that he had autism, I just thought he was an extremely picky eater.  I couldn't get him to eat anything except for a few things.  I remember a few evenings I told him that he would sit at the table until he ate.  He stayed at the table for 3 hours before he was excused to bed.  His eating habits are not a battle that we fight anymore.  We talked to the pediatrician at Riley's and we were told as long as he is getting supplements and drinking milk, he would be fine.  He usually doesn't eat what we do for dinner but I now understand that his dislike for things isn't necessarily his fault.  He eats whole grains, milk, fruit, and proteins.  We need to work on getting some vegetables in ,but I think quite a few moms have that problem.   

No comments:

Post a Comment