Noah

Noah
6th Grade

Friday, January 21, 2011

That Was a Waste of Money

Noah sure does some interesting things to pass the time.  Every day after school, he goes into our basement and does his ritual laps. These laps consist of him singing at the top of his lungs(usually getting the words of the song wrong), shaking a piece of a broken toy that makes a very irritating snapping sound, and walking around the perimeter of our lower level.  When I asked him why he does this, he said that he needed the exersise. He used to lap our kitchen table and when questioned about that, he returned that this helps him to think.  I sometimes wonder what is going on in that head of his.  I'm pretty sure most people would think his behavior quite odd.  But that's Noah, and we are very used to the peculiar things that he does on a daily basis.

Tonight he is going over to a friend's house.  They are going to hang out, not play.  According to Noah, 12 year olds don't play.  Friendships do not come easy to Noah.  He wants friends, he just doesn't know how to make them.  I thank God each and everyday for the 2 boys at church that try to include Noah in their activities.  I don't know where I would be without these boys and their parents who have encouraged them to befriend Noah.  I know he will never be mister popularity or even liked for that matter but I just pray that God would provide him with one or two good friends. 

It's heartbreaking for a mother to see her child struggle with peers.  Most of the time Noah thinks kids don't like him.  We try to explain to him that isn't true.  We try to encourage him to engage in the activities of the boys but we understand how very hard it is for him.  Noah always waits for someone to invite him in, and unfortunately in this age group, it doesn't always happen.  I know with prayer and practice, Noah will be able to develop some meaningful friendships.

I enrolled him in a social skills class for autistic children a while back.  After the first session I asked him if he had fun.  He replied, "Ahhhh.....NO!"  I asked him if he made any friends and to that he said," I don't need any."  When the class was complete, he got in the car and sincerely said, "I don't mean to be ungrateful, but that class was a waste of money.  I didn't learn anything."  So we have some work to do yet on his social skills and friendship making ability. 

No comments:

Post a Comment