Noah

Noah
6th Grade

Saturday, April 14, 2012

A New Kid

This was a very exciting week in the Hibshman household.  After a very discouraging week prior, God blessed us with a step forward for Noah.  I think God must have known that I couldn't take much more.  Lately, I have been close to my breaking point but He keeps me going by His strength.  I need to remember that even though I feel alone in this struggle, He is ALWAYS there with me and He will keep me from drowning.

Noah has been asking us if he can play basketball next year at school.  I have kind of been dodging the question because I really didn't think that he could.  Noah is very tall; he is 13 and already 5'9" and I think he is still growing. And it's not that I don't think he has some of the skills needed to play.  When he shoots, it usually goes in.  It's the fact that you have to be aggressive and close to other boys. 

He played Upwards a while back and sometimes it was painful to watch.  He had such a hard time engaging with the other players. There would always be a group of 9 playing and then there would be Noah a few feet away.  I think he wanted to be in there to participate but it was too hard for him. So when he asked to play at school, flashbacks of Upwards came to mind.  I tried to encourage cross country and track because I thought running away from people would be right up his alley.  He wasn't buying it. 

My mother-in-law bought him a basketball hoop for our house and he is out there everyday playing.  I am pleased because most of his free time is spent playing video games. I am very glad to see him outside in the fresh air.  He told me the other day that they would be offering open gym a couple days a week for people interested in playing basketball. I wanted to say no because I thought it would be another disappointing experience for him.  So I talked to Alan and he said to let him try it.

So Thursday morning was the first open gym. Noah was so excited. I pulled up to the school and as far as he could see, there were only high school boys. I didn't think he would go in because he didn't see any middle school boys but he hopped out of the car and went right in. I sat in my car for a minute and cried because of all the emotion welling up inside of me.  This was such a big step for him and I was so thankful to God for helping him.  All day I was wondering how it went.  I wondered if he participated or just stood to the side. Of course, in my mind, it was the latter.

I was nervous when I picked him up for school.  I knew this would either make him or break him.  He got in the car and couldn't stop talking about it and how much fun he had.  He was telling me how aggressively he was guarding his friend and how people were helping him in his game. All afternoon and evening Noah was a different kid.  He was in a good mood.  He couldn't stop talking about his day.  It seems as if he just wanted to be a part of something.  I am so thankful to those boys at ECA who included him.  I am thankful to God for using those boys to make my boy feel like one of the guys.

Friends, I humbly ask you to keep praying for Noah.  And me as well. This journey is the hardest thing I will ever do. I need your prayers because I can't do it on my own strength.  Thanks for reading and praying!

1 comment:

  1. I hope you check out my blog at lifewithturnerssyndrome.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete