Noah

Noah
6th Grade

Monday, September 5, 2011

I Should Step Out in Faith More Often

3 weeks in and everything is going all right.  Noah can do much more than I ever dream possible.  I remember waking up at 4 am on the first day of school and worrying about all of the details that Noah would have to remember that day.  Where his locker was, his locker combination, how to do his locker combination, where the lunch room is. I think I fretted about every last thing.  But the biggest concern was will he make any friends. 

He got in the car after that 1st day and said he had a good day.  He only got lost once, and he sat with some boys at lunch.  What a relief that was for me.  The next 3 weeks have had it's challenges and we are working with the school to deal with them.  Noah has a slower processing speed than the average student, so it takes him longer to do, well....., everything.  We had a meeting on Friday and got some modifications for homework.  This was a blessing because if an hour of homework was given, it would take Noah 3 hours to complete.  We also thought it would be best if his teachers all signed his agenda book at the end of the day.  That way his teachers could touch base with him to make sure he understood what the assignment is and when it is due. 

This has been a huge transition for Noah and I feel like I didn't prepare him for it.  In home school, he worked, on average, 4 hours a day.  Now he goes to school for 7 hours and usually works on homework for 3.  I realize now that I helped him too much in school.  I didn't want him to do poorly, so I would let him always redo the quizzes and tests that he didn't do so well.  The assistant principal had said that sometimes it's good for them to see a failing grade.  If Noah puts 5 minutes into studying for a test, he may not do so hot.  But if he spends 30 minutes, that might score him an A. 

He talks about other kids all the time and that amazes me.  He is interested in being a part of the social group.  He even went and stood in a group of boys at church yesterday.  He didn't do much talking, but just the fact that he joined the group is progress.  He got invited to a sleepover next weekend and he is so excited. Noah never gets invited anywhere.  I am so happy for him because this invitation has brought him much joy.  And it is a answer to much prayer.

Speaking of prayer, we got a huge answer this week.  We sent Noah to ECA on faith without a means to pay his tuition.  I have been looking for a job for a few months now and I hadn't heard from anyone.  The one interview that I did have, did not earn me a position.  I was trying to find a job within a school corporation so I could pick Noah up from school and be off when he is off.  I started to explore being a teacher's aide.  The qualifications for this job was an associates degree or paraprofessional certification.  I decided to take the test and I passed.  That was Tuesday.  That same day, I applied for an open position with Goshen Community Schools.  On Wednesday, the principal of Prairie View Elementary called and set up an interview for Thursday. 

The principal barely asked me any questions but the one thing he did ask, I didn't have a good answer. He asked me what experience I had with kids.  I had none except for being a homeschooling mom.  I thought there is no way he is going to hire me.  And just as I was thinking that, he offered me the position.  I was so shocked, I think my mouth was hanging open.  The one thing I do know, I didn't get that job, God gave me that job.  I should leave things to God more often, and be amazed by what He has in store.

No comments:

Post a Comment